The Payroll Supervisor is responsible to ensure that the payroll and benefits transactions for all hourly, salary, and part time union/non-union employees of our client company are reviewed and processed within established deadlines and follow payroll policies and requirements. Our client’s Payroll team services the construction, property management, and hospitality divisions of the business. The Payroll Supervisor will work closely with the Human Resources team.
- Accurately review and process weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly Payroll in accordance with company and regulatory requirements for 200+ employees. Our client’s payroll involves 10 legal entities in Canada (BC, ON, AB) and US (Colorado), with hourly, salaried and contract employees (some with collective agreements).
- Process manual/off-cycle pay runs as required, terminations (ROEs and vacation pay outs)
- Review and process payroll related payments on semi-monthly basis via cheque processing or electronic payment
- Process RRSP reconciliations and contribution payments
- Review various regulatory reporting, including ROEs, WCB, WSIB remittances, wage garnishments, employment verification requests and government assistance reconciliations
- Oversee year-end reporting and tax forms (T4, T2200s, RL1, W-2, etc.)
- Manage payroll deadlines with other departments, for payroll or payables processing
- Assist with and prepare complex allocation reports that feed into payroll journal entries and monthly accruals on a timely and accurate basis.
- Review and analyze that payroll allocations between projects or business units are accurate and in line with feedback from accounting, project, and property managers.
- Review and process special payrolls including benefit and year-end adjustments
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between Finance, HR, and other departmental accounting teams to ensure proper flow and maintenance of payroll changes
- Review integrity of employee payroll information; ensure proper authorization and adherence to company policies including compliance with federal/state/local regulations for any changes to be made to employee records
- Review payroll working papers for each pay period, prior to submission ensure accuracy of all information, follow-up on and resolve discrepancies with appropriate staff in a timely manner
- Responsible for accurate tax payment for all payroll activities which requires a thorough understanding of all compliance regulations for all federal and provincial tax agencies
- Identify, analyze, and resolve escalations or complex issues with strong emphasis on associated patterns, trends, and root cause analysis.
- Manage any formal internal and external audits and understand legislated requirements pertaining to such.
- Lead and provide investigation on regulatory and compliance issues
- Ensure SOPs are maintained regularly.
- Identify possible process improvements
- Various other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in Accounting or Finance is an asset, PCP required, and CPM preferred
- 5-7 years of full cycle payroll experience in a computerized payroll environment is required, experience with collective agreements is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of standard payroll principles/practices and legislative requirements and collective agreements, applying payroll expertise and analytical ability to resolve problems
- Payroll accounting exposure to process journal entries and HR/payroll related payments via cheque or other electronic payment forms.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Ability to use initiative and self-managing skills to work independently with minimal direction, keep up-to-date with current/pending payroll regulations, and respond effectively to issues that arise
- Analytical strengths to review a variety of manual payroll related calculations (e.g., severances, pensions, retroactive payments)
- Excellent verbal communication and written communication skills to lead response to various inquires on payroll related processes and procedures and the application of policies and payroll related legislation and to discuss and resolve discrepancies in payroll documents
- Ability to effectively collaborate with all levels of the business and develop/sustain cooperative working relationships with internal staff, vendors, and external contacts.
- Ability to allocate time effectively, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines; ability to handle multiple demands, be efficient to address competing priorities and adapt to new ideas and constant changes. Keen focus on producing accurate and high caliber work.
- Openness and enthusiasm to improve on, or suggest new processes
- Flexibility and leadership mentality during change management.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, analytical and detail oriented.
- Ability to work effectively across time zones
- Proficient with various computerized payroll systems, and MS Office software including Excel. Experience with Payworks and Bamboo are an asset. Experience with accounting software an asset.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com