The Payroll Specialist is responsible to ensure that the payroll and benefits transactions for all hourly, salary, part time union/non-union employees of the client company are processed within established deadlines and follow payroll policies and requirements. The client company’s Payroll team services the construction, property management, and hospitality divisions of the business. The Payroll Specialist will work closely with and may also assist the Human Resources team.
- Accurately review and process weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly Payroll in accordance with company and regulatory requirements for 200+ employees. The client company’s payroll involves 10 legal entities in Canada (BC, ON, AB) and US (Colorado), with hourly, salaried and contract employees (some with collective agreements). Process manual/off-cycle pay runs as required, terminations (ROEs and vacation pay outs)
- Process payroll related payments on semi-monthly basis through cheque processing or other authorizations
- Process RRSP reconciliations and contribution payments
- Process various regulatory reporting, including ROEs, WCB, WSIB remittances, wage garnishments, employment verification requests and government assistance reconciliations
- Process and oversee year end reporting and tax forms (T4, T2200s, RL1, W-2, etc.)
- Coordinate payroll deadlines with other departments, for payroll or payables processing
- Assist with and prepare complex allocation reports that feed into payroll journal entries and monthly accruals on a timely and accurate basis.
- Ensuring payroll allocations between projects or business units are accurate and in line with feedback from accounting, project and property managers.
- Process special payrolls including benefit and year-end adjustments
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between Finance, HR, and other departmental accounting teams to ensure proper flow and maintenance of payroll changes
- Record and maintain employee payroll information accurately; ensure proper authorization and adherence to company policies including compliance with federal/state/local regulations for any changes to be made to employee records
- Review payroll pre-processing reports prior to transmission to Payworks to ensure accuracy of all information, follows up on and resolves discrepancies with appropriate staff in a timely manner
- Run payroll and reviews post-payroll reports for accuracy
- Responsible for accurate tax payment for all payroll activities which requires a thorough understanding of all compliance regulations for all federal and provincial tax agencies
- Ability to identify and resolve escalations or complex issues with strong emphasis on associated patterns, trends, and root cause analysis.
- Supports formal internal and external audits, and understands legislated requirements pertaining to such.
- Supports and provides investigation on regulatory and compliance issues
- Requires strong documentation skills as SOPs must be maintained regularly.
- Identifies possible process improvements
- Various other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in Accounting or Finance is an asset. PCP or CPM enrolment or designation is preferred.
- 3-5 years of full cycle payroll experience in a computerized payroll environment is required, experience with collective agreements an asset
- Proficient with various computerized payroll systems, and MS Office software including excel. Experience with Payworks and Bamboo are an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of standard payroll principles/practices and legislative requirements and collective agreements, applying payroll expertise and analytical ability to resolve problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Ability to use initiative and self-managing skills to work independently with minimal direction, keep up to date with current/pending payroll regulations, and respond effectively to issues that arise
- Analytical strengths to perform a variety of manual payroll related calculations (e.g., severances, pensions, retroactive payments)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to respond to a range of inquiries to clarify payroll related processes and procedures and the application of policies and payroll related legislation and to discuss and resolve discrepancies in payroll documents
- Ability to effectively collaborate with all levels of the business and develop/sustain cooperative working relationships with internal staff, vendors, and external contacts.
- Ability to allocate time effectively, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines; ability to handle multiple demands, be efficient to address competing priorities and adapt to new ideas and constant changes. Keen focus on producing accurate and high caliber work.
- Openness to improve on, or suggest new processes, and flexibility during change management.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, analytical and detail oriented.
- Ability to work effectively across time zones
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com